Averaging 230 shows a year in the Los Angeles area, singer/songwriter/guitarist Rich Sheldon is one of the hardest working musicians in Southern Cal. Rich plays Original Modern Americana Roots Rock influenced by groovy jambands and classic legends like Bob Dylan, the Beatles, Bob Marley, the Dead, the Stones, and many more artists he keeps in his repertoire of covers. On any given week, there may be 5 shows on the calendar in the LA beach towns of Malibu, Santa Monica, Ventura, and the South Bay either solo or with his band and accompanied duets.
Billed as the Rich Sheldon Band, the Mutiny, or Rich Sheldon & Friends, the band plays crafted songs that are a launching pad for improvisational groovy jams along with soulful vocals and harmonies. Rich performs with a talented array of musicians from the So Cal Jamband scene - each show features a colorful cast of characters playing feel-good music.
Rich Sheldon and the Mutiny recently performed at the Desert Oasis Music Festival at the Coachella Polo Fields in Indio, CA along with Damian Marley, Los Lobos, Rebelution, Reel Big Fish, Fishbone, and many others. He’s scheduled to play solo at the Orange County Music Festival on May 25th in Silverado, CA and with his band at the Santa Monica Summer SOULstice June 23rd.
Other roving band members include drummer Ben Martin, bassist Doug Haxall, keyboardist Mike Sweeney, bassist Robert Fisher, keyboardist Roy Fishell, bassist Alex U’Ren, drummer Perry Ostrin, and many other guest artists including keyboardist Mike Russeck, guitarist Steven Kim, drummer Keith Erickson, drummer Jeffrey Brown, and many more!
Rich also occasionally performs and records with former Young Dubliner's guitarist, Bob Boulding as well as Doug Grean (former guitarist of Scott Weiland) and has performed with Innocent Criminals bassist, Juan Nelson. He has recorded on studio tracks with Ed Tree of The Spencer Davis Group, Rick Shlosser (former drummer for Van Morrison) and Dig Lewis (former bassist for Stevie Wonder). He has appeared on the same bill with David Lindley, Ramblin' Jack Elliot, Chris Hillman of The Byrds, Sweetwater, and Cubensis - LA’s Grateful Dead tribute.
Rich’s song "Meet You In the Heavens" appeared on Ziggy Marley radio at ziggymarley.com, and in the film "American Drug War, The Last White Hope" on Showtime.
His song “Destination Unknown” was selected for the first RELIX Magazine JAM OFF compilation, and he appeared in the magazine’s “On The Verge” section.
These radio stations have featured Rich’s music: “Frosty, Heidi, and Frank show” on 97.1 FM; “Local Licks” on 95.5 FM KLOS; and “The Music Never Stops” with Barry Smolin on KPFK 90.7 FM.
Rich Sheldon and his band have performed live at the following festivals and venues:
• Desert Oasis Music Festival '17 (Indio, CA)
• OCJBS - Jerry Garcia Daze '17 (Mt. Baldy, CA)
• Skull and Rose Festival '17 (Ventura, CA)
• June Lake Jam Fest '16 (June Lake, CA)
• Scottdale Fall Festival ’12 (Scottdale, PA)
• San Marcos Harvest Fest ’12 (San Marcos, CA)
• Dead On The Ponderosa '12 (Apple Valley, CA)
• 5th and Walnut (Asheville, NC)
• WDVX Blue Plate Special (Knoxville, TN)
• Mad Donna's (Nashville, TN)
• The National (Nashville, TN)
• Hennesseys Taverns' in California
• Finn McCool’s Irish Pub (Santa Monica, CA)
• Mickie Finnz (Redondo Beach, CA)
• Bar Melody (Los Angeles, CA)
• O’Brien’s Irish Pub (Santa Monica, CA)
• Malibu Wines (Malibu, CA)
• Malibu Cafe (Malibu, CA)
• The Tavern (Ventura, CA)
• Amigos (Ventura, CA)
• World of Beer (Tampa, FL)
• Mother’s Saloon (San Diego, CA)
• The Whaler (Venice, CA)
• Sandcastle Festival ’09 (Santa Barbara, CA)
• Watermelon Festival ’09 (Tujunga, CA)
• Marinapalooza (Marina del Rey) '06, '07, ’09
• Santa Monica Farmer’s Market ’07, ’08, ‘09
• Holiday Street Faire ’08 (Ventura, CA)
• Lemon Festival ’08 (Ventura, CA)
• Mammoth Mountain Ski Resort ‘07 & ’08
• Edinburgh Fringe Festival (UK) ‘06
• Union Street Faire (San Francisco, CA) '05
• Los Angeles Art Fest '05
• Los Angeles Marathon '04 & '05
• Whole Earth Festival (UC Davis) '04
• The Venice Carnivale (Venice Beach, CA) '04
• North Park Spring Festival '04 (San Diego, CA)
• Topanga Days (Topanga Cyn, CA) '02
• Millpond Music Festival (Bishop, CA) '00
• Sloppy Joe’s (Key West, FL)
• Green Parrot (Key West, FL)
• Winston’s (San Diego, CA)
• House of Blues (Hollywood, CA)
• Hardrock Café (Universal City, CA & Pittsburgh)
• Flagstaff Brewing Co. (AZ)
Musician and Production Credits for Rich’s original Songs listed in the Music Section:
• Tracks 1 “Stop”, 2 “Lost”, and 3 “Finer Things” recorded, mixed & mastered by Doug Grean. Rhythm Guitar - Rich Sheldon. Drums - Ben Martin. Bass guitar - Doug Haxall, Lead Guitar - Doug Grean, Keyboards - Roy Fishell, Piano - Jamie Bullock, Backing vocals - Aqila Kiki.
• Track 4 “Come Follow Me”, 5 “The Battle of Angus McLaren”, 6 “Big Brother”, 7 “No Way Out”, 8 “Compatriot”, 13 “Why Can I Be Away”, 14 “Where You Goin”, & 16 “Destination Unknown” recorded & mixed by Craig Adams, Winslow Ct. Studios, Hollywood, CA. Drums - Brad Rhodus, Track 4 “Come Follow Me” & 5 “The Battle of Angus McLaren” Lead Guitar Bob Boulding & Violinist Chaz Waltz, Track 4 “Come Follow Me” Bassist Dan Ehrlich, Track 6 “Big Brother”, 7 “No Way Out”, 13 “Why Can I Be Away”, 14 “Where You Goin”, 16 “Destination Unknown” Keyboardist Erich Gann and bassist Guy Silliman, Track 8 “Compatriot” Bassist Marcus Giamatti and Lead Guitarist Alex Curtis, Track 9 “Time To Come Together” & 10 “Destination Unknown” Vocal Harmonies Jamie Daniels and Casey Fichtner, Tracks 12 “Jah Jah”, 17 “Where You Goin”, 18 “You’ll Never Know” Vocal Harmonies and Lead Guitar Shawn Cunnane and mixed and recorded by Michael Wallace, Track 15 “Time To Come Together” 19 “Living in Zen” Bassist Son Vo
Photographer: Dana Patrick
Musician: Rich Sheldon
Venue: Dana Patrick studios - Hollywood, CA