Averaging over 230 shows a year in the Los Angeles area, singer/songwriter/guitarist Rich Sheldon is becoming one of the hardest working music performers in So Cal. The style is modern Americana Roots Rock influenced by the jamband music scene and legends of the classic rock era like the Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Paul Simon, Bob Marley and many more. On any given week, there are at least 5 shows on the calendar primarily in coastal beach towns like Malibu, Santa Monica, Ventura, and the South Bay of LA.
Other band members include drummer Ben Martin, bassist Doug Haxall, lead guitarist Doug Grean, keyboardist Roy Fishell along with Rich Sheldon that comprise the band appropriately named "The Mutiny" (see band bio below). Other pseudonyms and incarnations of this project are billed as Rich Sheldon & Friends or sometimes the Rich Sheldon Band when various special guest musicians join the band playing crafted songs specializing in improvisational rock n’ roll.
Rich also occasionally performs records with Young Dubliner's guitarist, Bob Boulding as well as Doug Grean (former guitarist of Scott Weiland and producer of the Velvet Revolver album) and has performed with Innocent Criminals bassist, Juan Nelson. He has recorded on studio tracks with Ed Tree of The Spencer Davis Group, Rick Shlosser (former drummer for Van Morrision) and Dig Lewis (former bassist for Stevie Wonder). He has appeared on the same bill with David Lindley, Ramblin' Jack Elliot, Chris Hillman of The Byrds, Sweetwater, and Cubensis.
Rich’s song "Meet You In the Heavens" appeared on Ziggy Marley radio at ziggymarley.com, and in the film "American Drug War, The Last White Hope" on Showtime.
His song “Destination Unknown” was selected for the first RELIX Magazine JAM OFF compilation, and he appeared in the magazine’s “On The Verge” section.
These radio stations have featured Rich’s music: “Frosty, Heidi, and Frank show” on 97.1 FM; “Local Licks” on 95.5 FM KLOS; and “The Music Never Stops” with Barry Smolin on KPFK 90.7 FM.
The Mutiny! BIOGRAPHY
The Mutiny Is comprised of a group of Los Angeles musicians that share a passion for jamband Americana roots music along with the singer/songwriter genre. The members met through the LA jamband music community while playing in other projects and organically formed the band through the necessity of playing a multitude of gigs.
Singer/Songwriter/Guitarist Rich Sheldon plays an average of 230 gigs a year along the coast of Southern California from Redondo Beach to Ventura. Rich would attend shows of the Funk band Mama Sutra and eventually met their drummer and Venice Beach resident Ben Martin. Ben toured the west coast and Colorado Rockies extensively with Mama Sutra and also plays some mean reggae.
Bassist Doug Haxall was poached from his passion project Saturn Returns playing all original music. Doug got his start in the New York jamband scene in the 90’s and had the privilege of playing a show for concert promoter Bill Graham that led to a dinner party to meet the late great legend and Mutiny band hero Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead.
Recently the band started playing and recording with lead guitarist/producer Doug Grean. Doug is a monster guitar player and played in the band Saturn Returns with Haxall and has ties to the NY jamband scene as well. Doug has had quite an extensive music career playing for 15 years with the late great legendary rock front man Scott Weiland and has worked with many other greats from Sheryl Crow, to Rod Stewart, Glenn Campbell, Slash, and many more.
The Mutiny is scheduled to play the Desert Oasis Music Festival where the site of Coachella is in Indio, CA along with Damian Marley, Los Lobos, Rebelution, Reel Big Fish, Fishbone and many others. For more info go to www.richsheldonmusic.com
Rich Sheldon and his band have performed live at the following festivals and venues:
• Desert Oasis Music Festival '17 (Indio, CA)
• OCJBS - Jerry Garcia Daze '17 (Mt. Baldy, CA)
• Skull and Rose Festival '17 (Ventura, CA)
• June Lake Jam Fest '16 (June Lake, CA)
• Scottdale Fall Festival ’12 (Scottdale, PA)
• San Marcos Harvest Fest ’12 (San Marcos, CA)
• Dead On The Ponderosa '12 (Apple Valley, CA)
• 5th and Walnut (Asheville, NC)
• WDVX Blue Plate Special (Knoxville, TN)
• Mad Donna's (Nashville, TN)
• The National (Nashville, TN)
• Hennesseys Taverns' in California
• Finn McCool’s Irish Pub (Santa Monica, CA)
• Mickie Finnz (Redondo Beach, CA)
• Bar Melody (Los Angeles, CA)
• O’Brien’s Irish Pub (Santa Monica, CA)
• Malibu Wines (Malibu, CA)
• Malibu Cafe (Malibu, CA)
• The Tavern (Ventura, CA)
• Amigos (Ventura, CA)
• World of Beer (Tampa, FL)
• Mother’s Saloon (San Diego, CA)
• The Whaler (Venice, CA)
• Sandcastle Festival ’09 (Santa Barbara, CA)
• Watermelon Festival ’09 (Tujunga, CA)
• Marinapalooza (Marina del Rey) '06, '07, ’09
• Santa Monica Farmer’s Market ’07, ’08, ‘09
• Holiday Street Faire ’08 (Ventura, CA)
• Lemon Festival ’08 (Ventura, CA)
• Mammoth Mountain Ski Resort ‘07 & ’08
• Edinburgh Fringe Festival (UK) ‘06
• Union Street Faire (San Francisco, CA) '05
• Los Angeles Art Fest '05
• Los Angeles Marathon '04 & '05
• Whole Earth Festival (UC Davis) '04
• The Venice Carnivale (Venice Beach, CA) '04
• North Park Spring Festival '04 (San Diego, CA)
• Topanga Days (Topanga Cyn, CA) '02
• Millpond Music Festival (Bishop, CA) '00
• Sloppy Joe’s (Key West, FL)
• Green Parrot (Key West, FL)
• Winston’s (San Diego, CA)
• House of Blues (Hollywood, CA)
• Hardrock Café (Universal City, CA & Pittsburgh)
• Flagstaff Brewing Co. (AZ)
Photographer: Dana Patrick
Musician: Rich Sheldon
Venue: Dana Patrick studios - Hollywood, CA